This past week, we graduated out of our fiscal sponsorship and now we need a 501c3, which will open up more opportunities for us. An official board is currently being created and voted upon.
We also discussed various developments around the neighborhood, how to become more involved in a more sustainable lifestyle when it comes to energy consumption, and more! See highlights and summary for the full recap.
We hope you will join us at our upcoming events, such as the next Vedgewater Work Day 8/21 and our next coalition meeting on Wednesday August 11th.
VIEW THE MEETING SUMMARY HERE
- We wanted to thank Alders Osterman and Vasquez for voting and supporting the Urban Forestry Advisory Board alongside the EEC.
- David Brost presented about how reducing electric bills is one of the best ways to reduce your carbon footprint. Read why it’s so important and for tips by reviewing his presentation here.
- Pooja Ravindran discussed updates on the delayed Metra stop, the new park coming to Edgewater, and the need for funds to be reallocated to the Bureau of Forestry. Send a message to email@example.com to voice your demands for better care of the Edgewater trees to save homes and our greenspaces.
- Discussed the America Rescue Program (the federal response program to COVID-19), which entails over $1.8 Billion to Chicago. Coincides with many points from the Chicago Rescue Plan that includes plans to decarbonize low income housing. Click here to read more, we'll be continuing to discuss at future meetings.
Fall Tree Planting!
Please join us, Openlands, and Chicago Regional Tree Initiative in bringing the gift of trees to Edgewater! Not only do they beautify our neighborhood, but they also absorb harmful carbon dioxide, creating a healthier space.
If you have a space (churches, schools, neighborhoods, parks, etc.) where a tree is needed and will be taken good care of, sign up! The deadline is July 28th.
Click on this link to register and get more information!
Vedgewater Work Day
Get the gardening gloves for July 24th and head to Vedgewater Garden! Helping out with the neighborhood gardens provide food and connection for the community.
VEDGEWATER SIGN UPS
Composting Policy Updates
Curious about composting? There has been new updates in the policies regarding food scraps, composting, and food waste reduction since July. Click here for the document. Thanks to Liz from the Illinois Food Scrap Coalition for sharing.
Mindful About Idling Emissions
We are trying to come up with ideas on how to address the lingering emissions around Edgewater coming from those who leave their cars running. By leaving the car on, CO2 and other harmful green house gases are being released. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with catchy and kind slogans.
Native plants are the harmonious marriage between the love of plants and sustainability! To grow these beauties, no harmful fertilizers required, and they need less water. Burton DeWilde has made native seed bundles and Kevin Ericson has been growing them in the Loyola University greenhouse. They will be distributing them.
Save the Date
- 7/25, 8/29, 10/10, 11/21: Hollywood Beach Stewardship
- 7/28: deadline for tree planting sign up
- 8/12 6pm: IEC North Side 30x30 Listening Session
- 8/11: Next Wednesday monthly meeting, 9am
- 8/21: Bioswales & Rain Garden Workshop @ Vedgewater
- 8/21, 9/18, 10/16 : Vedgewater Work Day 10am-12pm (3rd Saturday of the month)
- 8/21, 9/18, 10/16 : West Ridge Preserve Stewardship: Third Saturdays 10 AM
- 9/18: Edgewater Glen Fall Plant Swap, 10am-Noon at 1420 W. Glenlake (6100N)
- Mondays 3-7pm: Edgewater Farmers Market
- Wednesdays 3-7pm: Andersonville Farmers Market
- Last Saturday of the month: Litter Free Edgewater Clean Up
ALL UPCOMING EVENTS
In Case You Missed It
- The Farmer's Market has returned! The market is every Monday until August 30th.
- Submit your comment to Mayor Lightfoot about democratizing ComEd here
- Check out the blog on reducing your electric bill here. It's great for your wallet and for the environment!
- Our very own Edgewater Mutual Aid has veggie distributions on Saturdays, for more info, click here
- Fall 2021 Sustainability Leadership Training with the Chicago Conservation Corps: to attend the orientation, click here.